It is amazing, interesting and incredible how a novel gadget, promising principle or differentiating feature in the field of innovation and technology alters everything. And, you initiate basking in its benefit. So, while the world was abuzz with the apps, the efficiency it was portraying and the impact it had on the day to day life, with a bang ‘cross platform apps’ have managed to steal the limelight.
For those of you, unaware of the novel paradigm which is altering the business environment, here is a little insight on it.
What are cross platform apps?
As the term indicates, the cross-platform apps refer to the development of mobile apps, which can be utilized on more than one platform.
It’s advent initiated with the growing trend of Bring your device also, known as BYOD. The simple implication is that now, the rather than employees utilizing the desktop computers are required to bring their personal mobile device. In fact, there are also the mobile devices which are provided by the company in gaining accessibility to company apps and data. It is owing to BYOD; it has become imperative for the company to develop their corporate mobile apps and send them to a plethora of mobile devices. The significance of cross-platform app can be understood by the fact that, these different mobile devices operate on different networks and at the same time utilize the different operating system. Thus, it is only through a cross-platform app that hassles free working can be availed.
Which are the popular cross-platform development tools?
Cross platform apps inculcate a compelling proposition. Each type of app has a different attribute associated with the objective it has been fabricated for. Hence, each of it utilizes a different cross-platform development tool.
Here is a list of popular tools:-
- Sencha- it is the tool which enables the app development in HTML5. The benefit associated with this tool is that it saves time and provides for easy translation.
- Appcelerator Titanium-this is an open source tool. It fabricates native iOS and Android apps.
- Cocos2d- this imperative tool is utilized in two-dimensional game developments. With the aid of this tool, the developer will be in the position to develop five different platforms.
- Unity3D-this tool is also utilized to fabricate amazing games. It is a game engine which provides with some of a fascinating The best aspect of this tool is that with its code development, you will be in the position to export your games to as many as 17 different platforms.
- Corona- time is of immense significance in this world of technologically updated gadgets and state-of-the-art features. Hence, with this tool, the app developer are in the position to initiate coding the new app within 5 minutes of downloading. It is perfect for 2D gaming graphics.
- Qt it is a subscription based service. The best aspect of this tool is that you are not required a variety of devices for testing.
- Xamarin- this tool is associated with a free starter option. It includes app store delivery, monitoring, performance testing and the like.
- 5App- this tool is the perfect for the companies developing apps for their employees to use. Its focus area inculcates data security. It also offers immense productivity and hassles free use once you have initiated it.
With the utilization of the tools as above, the development of cross-platform app becomes easier and effective.
How are the cross platform apps cheaper and more effective?
- With the cross platform app, cost effectiveness is the ace benefit achieved. With the aid of a plethora of tools, there is possible working on a single codebase. The standard language is also unitary which in most of the instance C# is. The code is then executed through compilers that emit native iOS or Android apps. Hence, fewer prices are required.
However, with the native Apps, there are required, separate tools, different APIs, and different languages. With different code bases, the maintenance cost becomes high.
- Again, since the tools utilized are familiar, like the Microsoft Visual Studio, a language which is verbatim with techno experts like C#; the in-house developers can pursue fabrication of this app.
This saves money and time.
- Consistency is achieved through these apps, by syncing or merging across the platforms.
Needless to say, the impact is amazing! This has also led to a surge in cross platform app developers.
What can be ascertained about the future of the same?
As for the future, it can be ascertained taking into consideration the present scenario; there will be witnessed a growing development of cross-platform apps. And, again some companies will be providing the same for their employees. The BYOD which is still sparse will become a custom! Hybrid will continue to dominate in the days to come.
There is no doubt that hybrid apps make more sense and have a clear edge in certain scenarios. Considering the cost-effectiveness, the time saving and the consistency attribute associated with the cross-platform app development, it is just apt to go with them. App developers all over the world have lapped up this technology and are delivering its benefits to users like never before.